Is Christianity a Religion?

Is religion merely blind adherence to a set of ideas?

Blind Faith
"Blind faith lands evolution squarely in the category of religion." A friend made this remark the other day, and it got me thinking.

I think there's some validity to the evolutionism-equals-religion claim, but a quick disclaimer first: I use the term "evolutionism" as distinct from evolutionary theory, which, as a theory, is simply a set of ideas that can be evaluated on their own merits, and may be accepted or rejected. Evolutionism, on the other hand, I use to describe the believe-it-at-all-costs approach some have taken when considering the theory.

More importantly: I don't consider "blind faith" to be an accurate definition of religion. Believing something to be true when there is evidence to the contrary can be called a number of things, but religion is not one of them.

Standing the Test
Why do I care? Well, as a Christian, I have a set of religious beliefs... you might say I belong to a certain religion. Does this mean that I uncritically accept all things under the umbrella of Christianity? That what I believe to be true cannot be examined, put to the test? Of course not. I believe that Christianity's claims are both sound and defensible - able to withstand the scrutiny of those who will seriously consider it. Myself included. We either need to be more careful about using the term "religion", or just take Christianity out of that context altogether. True Christianity is not reckless fanaticism, or a crutch for the weak-minded.

As such I welcome that scrutiny here. I am far from Christianity's best apologist (defender), but I believe that every Christian should be "ready to make a defense to everyone who asks you to give an account for the hope that is in you, yet with gentleness and reverence" (1 Pet 3:15). If we aren't prepared to do that, perhaps we too are believing blindly, and our "faith" is built on the wrong kind of hope - a hope that is mere wishful thinking.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Should We "Lay Down Our Crowns"?

Does God Love Everyone? - 3

Why is Christ Interceding for Us?