Shackology: Is it Heresy?

Rather than add yet another review that may only draw more attention to the book called "The Shack," I have decided to make my point brief and direct folks to existing reviews.

For myself, I found the following:

  • The book is poor fiction
  • The fiction is a vehicle for the theology
  • The theology is rotten

I haven't yet found a comprehensive review - I suppose such a thing would be a book unto itself, but here's a few of the better ones:

If you must read the book (and you really don't have to), please realize that you will be absorbing more theology in the few hours it takes to read it than you will in most calendar months. Examine Young's version of God in light of what the Bible says about God. Use the reviews to help with this.


Other related resources:

  • The Love of God, John MacArthur. Young's God is not only love, but is really ONLY love. This is a classic and appealing distortion of ONE of God attributes. MacArthur's book does a good job of explaining God's amazing love in the context of ALL of His attributes.
  • Why We're Not Emergent: By Two Guys Who Should Be, De Young & Kluck. The authors of the Shack deny any connection to the emergent movement, but they sing its tune perfectly. Coming from an emergent background, I am appreciating this book - a little less academic than Carson's excellent Becoming Conversant with the Emergent Church.

WARNING

If this book has transformed you or a loved one, seek help now.

Comments

Jason Alligood said…
I thought you were going to turn off comments.

Good summary. I'm beginning to wonder if my best strategy is to say to folks, "No, I haven't read it but good men that I trust have and they say..."
Not sure why comments remained enabled. I guess I'll leave them on for a bit; will turn them off if things get silly... this book attracts a fair amount of that.

Popular posts from this blog

Should We "Lay Down Our Crowns"?

Does God Love Everyone? - 3

Why is Christ Interceding for Us?